Welcome from the Whisperers

Welcome from the whisperers... The artists of the Whisper Collaboration invite you to share our journey. Twelve artists, each begining with a theme, will carry out a visual game of "Chinese Whispers". Our book pages will travel between us, each collaborator adding their own interpretation of the theme. The trick will be that only the originating artist will know what the theme is! It's up to the rest of us to decipher that theme only from the work of the previous artist and the set of 'page clues' that will grow as the collaboration progresses! Here on our blog, we will share images of the clues, and perhaps some other tantalising snippets of information...all adding to the intrigue. Join us, and see if you can guess each artists theme as the books progress!

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Documenting our impressions

Tamara posed an interesting question concerning the journaling/documentation of impressions, feeling and thoughts in regard to the books we are each working on. (see Tamaras post below.
I posted the comment below in response to Tamara's question and also decided that it was a good one for all to see and perhaps discuss, thus this post!

I am also documenting down my thoughts on receiving a book and also what goes through my head in terms of what I think the theme is about....the book I am using is a children's picture story book, I have painted some of the pages over with gesso or other acryclic paint, sometimes leaving some of the image or text showing and partly obscured. when I think my page is complete I write a bit about what I decided to do, the technique and materials used I also use bits and pieces of left over, paint, images and collage pieces from the actual artwork, this helps me to remember in a different way about what I've done!It is hard not sharing these words with anyone in the collaboration....perhaps we could each choose half a dozen words from our journals to 'list' with the clue, in no particular order? What do others think?
Peta

4 comments:

Tamara said...

Hey Peta,

Mix-ups are bound when posting clues from other collaborators. Its Tracey who posted her thoughts about documenting! I will of course now jump on the band wagon. my process hasn't been as solid as both of you and both of you have inspired me tranfer my mental diary and put it all onto paper.

Cheers Tamara xx

Tracey Hewitt said...

Peta, I really like the idea of adding some words as clues...could be really helpful, or perhaps lead us atray, depending on the words we choose! I know I'd enjoy to share a little more of this!

Sorry if I confused things with the post of Tamara's page - I thought as I wrote that it was tricky...might have helped if I had signed my name though!

Peta said...

aha! It's all becoming clearer...at least in terms of who posted what!!! It's not clear however about just what's going on with some of our very 'secret, clues! I still plan to give you a call and see if we can work it out!! Hopefully in the next few days!

jenconde said...

Yes I agree, I think we can add more information with out giving away the theme, not that we know the original theme after a couple of rounds. Since its just our interpretation, I say lets go for it with visuals and words, on the blog and in our own notes.... and see where we end up? Jen